Academia: Class Attendance using Biometric Devices Solution and Procedures
Academia, Institute ERP system provides its clients the capability to fully automate student class attendance process using bio-metric and/or RF-ID cards. Attednance automation is a tricky process and with the help of Academia ERP and its specialized solution for student attendance process, full automation can be achieved.
Challenges in student attendance automations
- Proxy Control – How to ensure that students do not forge attendance records for themselves and other classmates
- Data capture – How to ensure that when lectures are being conducted in multiple class rooms for different courses by several faculties simultaneously, data capture for attendance is streamlined and automated.
- Report Generation – How to use the captured data to generate attendance reports with minimal data entry
- Reduce time – How to overall reduce the time required to capture attendance data and generate reports
Solutions using Academia ERP
- Biometric Attendance – Every student can be identified uniquely using his/her finger prints. This way proxy control is effectively put in place and student identifications becomes easy and effective.
- One device per classroom – Every classroom will have to be equipped with a simple bio-metric attendance capturing machine which is capable of communicating with a centralized Server connected on the institute network.
- Academia ERP Backend – Student, Class registration and time table data in Academia makes it very simple to capture student attendance and generate all kinds of reports with it.
- Efficient – Overall process makes it very time effective and efficient way of capturing student attendance and report generation.
Process and Steps in attendance automation
- Infrastructure preparation
- One machine per classroom – Each classroom will have to be equipped with a bio-metric attendance machine which is connected to a centralized server and all other machines using Institute network.
- Server – A simple server capable of storing all data punches made in all machines. The specification typically depends on how many classrooms are there in the institute. Typically for an institute with 100 class rooms, a dual-core processor with 4 GB and expandable HDD space is sufficient.
- Network – Bio-metric machines should be connected to the college network either using network cables or wireless network.
- Academia ERP Server – Server that hosts Academia ERP software should be able to connect and poll the data for attendance records.
- Student Data Capture
- First time data capture – At the time of admission each student fingerprints (minimum 2 prints per student) to be captured on a device.
- Data for student to be pushed to all other machines where student can take classes. This is done through a simple software remotely to all connected machines
- Student marks attendance before start and after end of each lecture in the class room where the lecture was held.
- Data processing
- Each bio-metric machine is capable to push the data to the centralized server at defined intervals and all machine data is captured in the server.
- Academia ERP uses this data and maps it to the scheduled session in its database, matches this data with student class registration information and automatically marks student present/absent based on the capture of fingerprint data at the start and end of a class.
- Report generation
- Various class attendance reports can be generated by end users using Academia ERP
- Reports and data analysis can be done by teacher and administrators within minutes of ending a lecture.